Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Mark Thompson.

I can’t explain my recent and peculiar fascination with airplanes lately. It hit me this morning when I took a pleasant, quiet stroll back to campus at six in the morning. I had a fifteen minute walk, illuminated by light pollution and alive with electricity humming along the railway wires above. This early morning brisk walk was strangely relaxing, a little bit dangerous and even more exciting. When you view anything out of its normal context, it opens your mind to a whole new way of thinking.

There is something about it, the way metal and skin is pinned into the sky. How it fades from my bedroom window into the lights of the city, into the dusk of the sky, into an unknown location. Perhaps I am amazed. Perhaps. From my bedroom window I can look onto the skim of the New York City skyline and let my deepest desires translate into a sweet slumber. It is having my windows open, curtains open, lying naked in the thinnest of sheets, looking out my window into the humming silence- and it being disrupted by the demanding roar of an overhead engine, charging to some sort of location and silently humming away.

The concept does not rest lightly with me, but comfortably heavy. I like to imagine being someone else on some sort of plane in some sort of destination. Am I flying to a funeral for my father or a friend? Do I have another flight before my actual destination? Am I flying to close a business deal? Am I going to meet the doctors who will save my daughters life? Is it simply a vacation? Or is a return home from any of those things?

I’m envious of everyone’s travels. What I would do for a plane ticket to anywhere and some money in my pocket. I’d be happy living in the same clothes for two weeks if it meant living in the rainforest. I’d be happy not knowing a lick of French, Russian or German and ending up there. I’m desperate for change and travel. I want to be in the mix of metal and skin fading away into the light pollution of New York City, humming over my dorm, straight out of my window.

with this current obsession and inspiration it was clear i would have to use airplane art. Sculptures constructed out of airplane junk and debris. brilliant.
Photobucket
he isn't a very popular artist, hence the lack of photos. i know of one other sculpture artists who uses debris, its at the guggenheim but i can not recall her name right now =/

No comments: